Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day 93-If It's Not One Thing, It's Another

It stormed last night, but I got a pretty good nights sleep going to bed early. They say never quit in the morning; but I don't know why-it's mid-day that gets me. Just helicopter me off this rock scramble please, I've had it! I was on the trail by 7:20 and only had 12 miles scheduled for today. I learned I didn't camp where I thought I was last night, seems I was still a bit short South. Meaning I have a little more than 12 miles to do today but nothing crazy. I was still feeling dissconected from where I am, and last night I re-read all of my letters from friends and family and that helped a little. My shoulders started to sting really bad so I stopped to look at them, they were all red and raw-great. I didn't know what to do, I just sent back my unopened body glide! I took off my shirt, wiped down the skin irritation with washies, and then put Neosporin on them. I placed a gauze pad over it and hiked on-still stinging and rubbing. I carried my poles and held my straps way out on my shoulders-tolerable, but still shitty. My wrists started to get sore from the weight, I texted my mom and she said to take a Benadryl and put an extra pair of socks in between my strap and shoulder to cushion. Benadryl?! Do you mean Advil? Benadryl is for allergies, but she thought it would help with the irritation so I tried it. I got out clean socks, a clean shirt, and took off my bra. I taped myself a nice bra and hung the physical one with irritating straps from my pack. The sock idea and no bra worked a lot better. I am still worried about it though, I hope it doesn't get any worse this week. I sat at a water source to fill up and talked with a guy for a bit, his name was Coal Train and he applauded me and said I would make it-good luck. I wished him the same. It really is comforting to hear that from a stranger. The shelter I planned to stay at was closed and .3 off the trail so I hiked on for another half hour and set up at a stealth spot. I got there around 5:00, and it is supposed to storm starting around 7:00. I looked to make sure there were no dead trees around me, but plenty of trees for covering and set up. I let everything air out on top of my tent and wrote in my journal. The wind picked up, thunder and lightning crashed and then it started to rain. I prayed that no trees or branches fell on me and no joke, within the next minute I heard a snap and crash. Mud splattered my tent. What. The. Hell?! I unzipped my tent to see a limb fall about 2 feet from my tent between two trees. Should I be happy, or feel mocked? This worried me, all I could think about was waking up with a log crushing my legs. I arranged my pack to stand up behind my head instead of laying at the bottom of my tent in hopes that if something did fall, it would crush that before my head. I hope. It was hard for me to fall asleep, but eventually I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment